Well designed work can and should resemble play.
The essence of work is about making decisions; exercising choice within the limits and boundaries that are imposed upon us and choice and decisions to achieve an outcome; a goal or purpose. And all of this takes place over well or poorly defined timeframes.
Interestingly enough many activities which we might not ordinarily associate with ‘work’:
- A round of recreational golf
- Cooking a meal for family and friends
- A lazy afternoon spent fishing
All conform to the abovementioned definition of work!
And yet people will say:
- Golf that’s not work I have fun when I am doing it!
- Cooking? That’s not work I actually enjoy it!
- Fishing? That’s not work it helps me to relax
So it seems to us that employment work (as distinct from home, play or community work) has given ‘work’ a bad name…
And this is a leadership challenge.