We believe that there are five characteristics of effective teams and these are:
- Effective Teams have and use process i.e. structured methodologies for achieving outcomes.
- In effective teams ‘leadership’ is demonstrated – we do not subscribe to the idea of self-directed or self-managed teams and even where these teams seem to be effective it is more often than not the case that a natural leader has emerged and is providing leadership.
- In effective teams ‘membership’ is demonstrated, actively and proactively. In fact an untapped business advantage is membership and organizations that devote 90% plus of their training budget to developing leadership capability would do well to remember this characteristic.
- In effective teams the leader and members are able to avoid counter-productive or hindering behaviors such as dominating; avoiding; undermining; sub-grouping; withdrawing and…
- Finally, in effective teams people are aware of themselves and others from the perspective of temperament and style preferences and differences and they are willing to adjust to each other’s style.